The increasing transfer speed of the main object (such as goods, assets, and people) makes the location data and transaction status ever-changing.
Therefore, we need a system to help synergize human involvement in getting identification information. To achieve this, we need a technology system as a solution. Technological developments are now able to answer these needs, namely with Real-Time Locating System (RTLS) using Passive RFID.
This solution from ACS Group helps users locate an item or asset without contact so it can be monitored automatically based on checkpoints.
With this technology, users can observe the assets/goods movement, especially their location and status Real-Time with a relatively low investment.
In the application of RTLS with RFID technology, there are several supporting components, namely:
1. Tag RFID
It is a Tag with no power source, uses an antenna, and integrated circuit (IC). The reader transmits a radio wave that powers the IC within the reader zone. This RFID tag is affixed to the checkpoints so its position can be tracked or managed.
2. RFID Reader
- RFID Antenna placed in front of the forklift to read passive RFID from the goods’ pallet.
- 8 Port Vehicle RFID Reader to read all passives on the pallet and provide information on forklift position.
3. RFID Antenna
Reads & transmits RFID Grid position signals.
4. Rugged Vehicle Computer
Rugged Vehicle Computer for receiving work orders within the tags reading range.
5. Network infrastructure (Wireless AP)
Useful for disseminating information from the main tag/object to the reader with RTLS Application System.
6. RTLS Application System
To manage, analyze, and export all data received from various tag positions.
In its implementation, some of the passive RFID tags will be installed on the warehouse ceiling with a grid configuration. Each passive RFID tag works as a checkpoint to locate assets/goods movement.
The first thing to do is register all Passive RFID Tags, whether the RFID for forklift tracking or RFID for pallets’ names. The tags are reusable and can be used as many times as needed.
2. Login Process
Forklifts with an RFID reader enter the warehouse and will pass through the door, which was set as a checkpoint while carrying assets/goods to start the operational process.
The forklift operator will start his work to load goods/assets according to the instructions listed on the PC monitor and then place them in the appropriate rack. All tag data sent by wireless AP will be automatically displayed.
3. Putaway Process
In this process, the forklift operator will move the asset/goods according to the instructions listed on the monitor. The goods that have been equipped with the RFID tag will be moved from the shelf at Checkpoint 1 to the shelf at Checkpoint 4.
4. Dashboard Mapping
The warehouse manager can monitor the RFID Tag location on the goods by referring to the passive RFID Tag grid which will both send signals through the antenna to the RLTS Application in real-time.
While carrying Assets/Goods, the forklift’s exact movement can be monitored. The time it moves away from Check-point 1 and approaches Check-point 4 will be recorded so the exact position of the goods can be known.
This is an example of a Real-Time Location System (RTLS) operational activity with the Passive RFID Tag – all activities can be monitored at any time.
The following are operational benefits:
- (Productivity) Improved operational activities with more efficient monitoring and managing assets/goods process.
- (Traceability) Able to monitor inventories, forklifts, equipment, workers, and asset movement in real-time.
- (Excess Stock) Able to find out the number of Assets/goods whether it is ready, bereft, sufficient, less, or more.
- (Lifecycle Monitoring) The inventory (RFID, Reader, Antenna), forklift, and equipment working performance can be reviewed so maintenance time can be known.
- Competitive advantage: More efficient operations, reduced costs, better decision making, and new dynamic offers to ensure a competitive advantage for most RTLS systems’ initial adopters.
RTLS solutions are perfect for Cross-Industry, Supply Chain, Production Industry, Retail, or E-commerce. If you are interested in implementing this solution you can contact us at ACS Group, a pioneer of Automatic Identification and a leader in barcode systems since 1991.